Motorcyclists shall follow the same safety rules as car drivers and should exercise extra caution, especially when lane splitting is legal in the state. Motorcyclists are often falsely accused of causing collisions by going too fast or recklessly. Yerushalmi Law Firm’s seasoned motorcycle accident lawyers in Los Angeles diligently defend the injured claimants with extensive knowledge of the unique causes of motorcycle accidents in LA and the challenges that a motorcycle crash claim may face.
Typical Motorcycle Accident Causes
Being involved in a motorcycle crash can be terrifying, as riders lack the physical protection that an enclosed car offers. And if a motorcyclist gets hit by a large vehicle, the injuries can be catastrophic, taking months or years to recover. Knowing the leading causes of Motorcycle accidents in LA can help you prepare for such a situation to some extent.
- Speeding: Speeding decreases the likelihood of a motorcyclist noticing and responding to other cars in time to prevent a collision. Whether the other vehicle driver or the motorcycle rider speeding, an accident can have fatal consequences.
- Lane Splitting: Lane splitting is legal in California But is also risky for motorcyclists due to the proximity of other vehicles and the limited space to maneuver. Inexperienced motorcyclists are more likely to crash while lane splitting.
- Left-Hand Turns: Motorcycle crashes are often caused by vehicles making an abrupt or unintended left turn in front of a motorcycle. Car drivers may fail to obey traffic lights and right-of-way rules in such cases.
- Distracted Driving: Distracted drivers often miss motorcyclists due to their small size to other vehicles. As a consequence, the probability of a motorcycle crash rises.
- Drunk Driving: Drunk driving is a challenge for motorcyclists in California. According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, one-third of all motorcycle crashes in Los Angeles involve a driver drunk over the legal limit for alcohol.
- Road Hazards: Many motorcycle crashes in California are the result of road hazards. Typical examples of poor road conditions include potholes, road debris, uneven lanes, and defective road designs. When an accident happens due to such perils, the government or a construction company may be held responsible.
- Motorcycle Defects: A defective part or a manufacturing defect on a bike may cause it to spin out, fail to stop, and rollover. For any injuries incurred by the use of a faulty part, the manufacturer can be held accountable.
Insurance adjusters are always looking for ways to deny the claim or lower its value. Hence, motorcyclists must respond immediately to maximize their odds of receiving fair compensation. They should seek legal counsel from a qualified motorcycle accident lawyer as soon as possible following a crash.
Injured in a motorcycle accident in Los Angeles? Experienced and skilled motorcycle accident attorneys at the Yerushalmi Law Firm will thoroughly evaluate your case and talk you through the process of seeking compensation. Call us for a free consultation at (310) 777-7717