Even though commercial trucking is subject to various safety regulations, truck accidents still occur at an alarming rate. Truck accidents are more likely to result in catastrophic injuries than passenger vehicles, given their large sizes and massive weight. California witnessed 408 fatalities involving a large truck, which accounted for approximately 11% of the total traffic fatalities in 2019.
In this article, Yerushalmi Law Firm discusses the leading causes of truck accidents in Los Angeles and how you can lawfully protect yourself after a truck or commercial vehicle crash in California.
Most Common Causes of Truck Accidents
Knowing the most common causes of truck accidents in Los Angeles may help you prevent and avoid them. Following are the leading causes of truck crashes:
- Distracted Driving: Even a brief moment of distraction can lead to a catastrophic truck accident. Factors that quickly distract big-rig drivers include lack of sleep, fatigue, cell phones, food, and boredom.
- Speeding: Because of the pressure to make tight deadlines, truckers might opt to drive fast. Speeding can easily cause truck drivers to lose control of their vehicles, particularly when approaching curves or busy routes. Given the truck’s large size, it is much more challenging to come to a complete stop when essential.
- Driving Under the Influence: Truck drivers have challenging jobs, and they often start taking alcohol and other drugs to get through a shift. It adversely impacts their ability to operate their large vehicles safely
- Truck Driver Fatigue: Fatigue causes truck drivers to lose focus and balance and increases the chances of a crash. Federal law allows truck drivers to have a specific number of hours on duty and limits their driving time. However, many businesses ignore these regulations, and driver fatigue remains a big issue.
- Overloaded Cargo: Overloaded cargo can be dangerous, as it may lead to all sorts of issues, like tire blowouts, cargo flying off, collision with other vehicles, and the driver losing the truck control, etc.
- Poor Maintenance or Faulty Parts: Driver errors are not the only cause of truck accidents in Los Angeles. Sometimes poor maintenance or faulty truck parts can also lead to a truck accident. The truck manufacturer or the trucking company can be held accountable for the resulting damages.
Motorists can reduce their chance of being involved in a truck accident by driving defensively and being vigilant around commercial vehicles. Did you suffer injuries in a truck accident in Los Angeles? Yerushalmi Law Firm’s experienced truck accident attorneys will assist you in navigating the personal injury lawsuit process with ease.
Our seasoned truck accident lawyers are familiar with the laws and regulations that regulate the trucking industry and can spot any alleged violations by truck drivers or trucking companies that led to the accident. Call us for a free consultation at (310) 777-7717