If you suffer injuries in an accident due to someone else’s negligence, you are entitled to compensation from the individual or company legally responsible for your damages. The compensation varies depending on the severity of the injuries and the length of the recovery. The parties may agree on the compensation amount after negotiation or by filing a lawsuit in court. In this article, learn about the compensation (damages) you may be entitled to in your personal injury case.
The Most Common Types Of Damages You Can Get Compensated For
There is no question that many people do not realize their full rights when claiming compensation in a personal injury case. Defendant’s insurance company is always looking for ways to lower the claim value or outright deny it. To ensure that you receive a fair settlement, you need the help of an accomplished personal injury lawyer. Los Angeles top-rated personal injury attorneys at Yerushalmi Law Firm can easily protect your right to financial compensation in the event of an accident and ensure that you recover everything to which you are entitled.
- Property Damage: It includes the cost of repair and replacement of any property damaged in the accident. The typical example is the expense of replacing or repairing a laptop, a mobile phone, a handbag, et cetera.
- Medical Costs: It can include the ambulance fees, emergency expenses, doctor appointments, bills for physical or cognitive therapy, medical equipment & supplies, home care, etc.
- Lost Income: Accident injuries can adversely affect your current and future earnings. The California law allows you to seek compensation for loss of earning or loss of earning potential or both if you suffer injuries in an accident due to someone else’s fault.
- Pain and Suffering: Damages for pain and suffering compensate a victim for the non-economic effects of an injury. Any significant physical pain or mental anguish you experience after an accident may qualify as pain and suffering for settlement purposes.
- Emotional Distress: If you have experienced fear, anxiety, or distress because of an injury, you might be entitled to claim for emotional distress.
- Loss of Consortium: These damages are usually only awarded in cases involving severe injuries or wrongful death. The reason behind these damages is that the injured victim may not be able to provide his or her partner with the same degree of companionship that he or she was able to give before the accident.
- Wrongful Death: Losing a loved one in an accident due to someone else’s negligence is one of the most unfortunate things. Wrongful death compensation cannot bring the loved one back but provides a sense of justice and financial security to the family members that they need and deserve.
- Punitive Damages: The intention of awarding punitive damages is to punish the defendant for their despicable behavior and deter others from indulging in such actions.
- Miscellaneous costs: This includes any other out-of-pocket expenses incurred due to the accident, such as transportation costs, parking tickets, renting a car, towing, et cetera.
If your injuries were a result of someone else’s negligent actions, discuss your case with skilled personal injury lawyers at Yerushalmi Law Firm for an effective legal representation of your claim. Call us for a free consultation at (310) 777-7717